Quick Message

Quick Message [Paid] 1.1.1

No permission to buy (CA$14.95)

Lawrence

Developer
Staff member
Lawrence submitted a new resource:

Quick Message - Allow your members to send a quick message to another member.

Compatible XF 2.x versions: 2.1

Additional requirements: PHP 7.2+

License: Purchasing this add-on entitles you to one installation on your live site and one installation on a password protected test site. This add-on can not be repackaged or redistributed in any form.

Visible branding: No

Conversations are a great means for members to privately communicate with other members. However, if a member wants to send a simple message to one other member, conversations can then become cumbersome...
Read more about this resource...

onthefly

I just purchased this today, are there any plans to make this more of a stand along addon so it no part of regular messages? Something FB messanger

onthefly

Also is there a way to get the Quick message under the username in this view, as you see to your left like is says "New member" ?

Lawrence

Developer
Staff member
I just purchased this today, are there any plans to make this more of a stand along addon so it no part of regular messages? Something FB messanger
Thank you for the purchase, it is appreciated. There is no plans to make this a stand alone. The concept of this add-on is to allow members to pass on a message to another member that they see are online.

Also is there a way to get the Quick message under the username in this view, as you see to your left like is says "New member" ?
That's a very good idea, and I'm not sure why I didn't think about that myself. I'll add it for the next release, which I have already added a small change to.

onthefly

Im really looking for something more like the FB messanger. a lot of people are. :( but will still use this to see how it will evolve.

Last edited:

Lawrence

Developer
Staff member
Lawrence updated Quick Message with a new update entry:

New feature, minor changes

Changes:
  • Added an option to use the fa-icon or text for the quick message link when viewing a members profile. Defaulted to fa-icon.
Features:
  • Added an option to add the quick message link to the message user info column. Choose between fa-icon or text. Defaulted to fa-icon.
  • Added an option to select which fa-icon to use for the profile page and message user info block (postbit) to match your site's niche and style. Examples: fa-bolt (lightening...
Read the rest of this update entry...

gerryvz

I am getting many dozens of server errors after upgrading to the new version of the add-on:

TypeError: Argument 1 passed to EAEAddons\QuickMessage\XF\Entity\User::canQuickMessageWith() must be an instance of XF\Entity\User, null given src/addons/EAEAddons/QuickMessage/XF/Entity/User.php:34

[LIST]
[*]
[*]TypeError: Argument 1 passed to EAEAddons\QuickMessage\XF\Entity\User::canQuickMessageWith() must be an instance of XF\Entity\User, null given
[*]
[*]src/addons/EAEAddons/QuickMessage/XF/Entity/User.php:34
[*]
[/LIST]

[LIST]
[*]
[*]Generated by: Unknown account
[*]
[*]Dec 8, 2019 at 10:33 AM
[*]
[/LIST]

[SIZE=5][B]Stack trace[/B][/SIZE]

#0 [internal function]: EAEAddons\QuickMessage\XF\Entity\User->canQuickMessageWith(NULL)
#1 src/XF/Template/Templater.php(1004): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
#2 internal_data/code_cache/templates/l1/s1/public/message_macros.php(105): XF\Template\Templater->method(Object(SV\ElasticSearchEssentials\XF\Entity\User), 'canQuickMessage...', Array)
#3 src/XF/Template/Templater.php(706): XF\Template\Templater->{closure}(Object(vw\vw\XF\Template\Templater), Array, Array)
#4 internal_data/code_cache/templates/l1/s1/public/post_macros.php(27): XF\Template\Templater->callMacro('message_macros', 'user_info', Array, Array)
#5 src/XF/Template/Templater.php(706): XF\Template\Templater->{closure}(Object(vw\vw\XF\Template\Templater), Array, Array)
#6 internal_data/code_cache/templates/l1/s1/public/thread_view.php(572): XF\Template\Templater->callMacro('post_macros', 'post', Array, Array)
#7 src/XF/Template/Templater.php(1320): XF\Template\Templater->{closure}(Object(vw\vw\XF\Template\Templater), Array)
#8 src/addons/vw/vw/XF/Template/Templater.php(789): XF\Template\Templater->renderTemplate('thread_view', Array, true)
#9 src/XF/Template/Template.php(24): vw\vw\XF\Template\Templater->renderTemplate('public:thread_v...', Array)
#10 src/XF/Mvc/Renderer/Html.php(48): XF\Template\Template->render()
#11 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(458): XF\Mvc\Renderer\Html->renderView('XF:Thread\\View', 'public:thread_v...', Array)
#12 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(440): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->renderView(Object(XF\Mvc\Renderer\Html), Object(XF\Mvc\Reply\View))
#13 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(400): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->renderReply(Object(XF\Mvc\Renderer\Html), Object(XF\Mvc\Reply\View))
#14 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(58): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->render(Object(XF\Mvc\Reply\View), 'html')
#15 src/XF/App.php(2184): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->run()
#16 src/XF.php(391): XF\App->run()
#17 index.php(20): XF::runApp('XF\\Pub\\App')
#18 {main}

[SIZE=5][B]Request state[/B][/SIZE]

array(4) {
["url"] => string(52) "/forums/threads/m119-975-oil-pan-gasket-change.4615/"
["referrer"] => bool(false)
["_GET"] => array(0) {
}
["_POST"] => array(0) {
}
}

gerryvz

I had no errors with the previous version of the add-on, at all.

This is with XenForo 2.1.5, and php 7.3

Lawrence

Developer
Staff member

Hi, and thanks for reporting this.

I just sent you a quick message, and could not reproduce on this site (XF 2.1.5, and php 7.3). I'll keep testing.

Update, I see that you have Elastic Search Essentials installed. Can you disable it and let me know if the errors go away? I have a feeling that they will, but want to be sure.

Last edited:

gerryvz

OK, I will disable the ElasticSearch Essentials and see if I get any more errors. The add-on has been working fine despite the errors, from what I can tell.

UPDATE -- I have disabled ElasticSearch Essentials. I'll report back in the next couple of hours to see if further errors have been reported.

Lawrence

Developer
Staff member

I believe it is now fixed. I'll release the update shortly. For now, if you go to the style properties for the quick message add-on, and set the" Display the message user info block link" to Do not display, those errors should be gone. You can leave ElasticSearch Essentials enabled.

gerryvz

Let me see if the errors go away. I should see errors (or none) in the next hour or two, as they seem to come pretty regularly in the error logs.

If no errors, I'll do as you say above and wait for the update. If I get errors, I'll post them to you.

gerryvz

I just how got another error:

• TypeError: Argument 1 passed to EAEAddons\QuickMessage\XF\Entity\User::canQuickMessageWith() must be an instance of XF\Entity\User, null given
  • src/addons/EAEAddons/QuickMessage/XF/Entity/User.php:34

• Generated by: Unknown account
  • Dec 9, 2019 at 1:17 PM
Stack trace

#0 [internal function]: EAEAddons\QuickMessage\XF\Entity\User->canQuickMessageWith(NULL)
#1 src/XF/Template/Templater.php(1004): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
#2 internal_data/code_cache/templates/l1/s1/public/message_macros.php(105): XF\Template\Templater->method(Object(SV\SearchImprovements\XF\Entity\User), 'canQuickMessage...', Array)
#3 src/XF/Template/Templater.php(706): XF\Template\Templater->{closure}(Object(vw\vw\XF\Template\Templater), Array, Array)
#4 internal_data/code_cache/templates/l1/s1/public/post_macros.php(27): XF\Template\Templater->callMacro('message_macros', 'user_info', Array, Array)
#5 src/XF/Template/Templater.php(706): XF\Template\Templater->{closure}(Object(vw\vw\XF\Template\Templater), Array, Array)
#6 internal_data/code_cache/templates/l1/s1/public/thread_view.php(572): XF\Template\Templater->callMacro('post_macros', 'post', Array, Array)
#7 src/XF/Template/Templater.php(1320): XF\Template\Templater->{closure}(Object(vw\vw\XF\Template\Templater), Array)
#8 src/addons/vw/vw/XF/Template/Templater.php(789): XF\Template\Templater->renderTemplate('thread_view', Array, true)
#9 src/XF/Template/Template.php(24): vw\vw\XF\Template\Templater->renderTemplate('public:thread_v...', Array)
#10 src/XF/Mvc/Renderer/Html.php(48): XF\Template\Template->render()
#11 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(458): XF\Mvc\Renderer\Html->renderView('XF:Thread\\View', 'public:thread_v...', Array)
#12 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(440): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->renderView(Object(XF\Mvc\Renderer\Html), Object(XF\Mvc\Reply\View))
#13 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(400): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->renderReply(Object(XF\Mvc\Renderer\Html), Object(XF\Mvc\Reply\View))
#14 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(58): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->render(Object(XF\Mvc\Reply\View), 'html')
#15 src/XF/App.php(2184): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->run()
#16 src/XF.php(391): XF\App->run()
#17 index.php(20): XF::runApp('XF\\Pub\\App')
#18 {main}

Request state

array(4) {
["url"] => string(70) "/forums/threads/02-c32-please-help-identifying-battery-mfg-date.13850/"
["referrer"] => bool(false)
["_GET"] => array(0) {
}
["_POST"] => array(0) {
}
}

gerryvz

I have changed the style properties setting per below, and re-enabled the ElasticSearch Essentials add-on. Will let you know what I observe.

By the way, the test message that I sent just a few minutes ago is working fine and the other account I sent it to received it.

Lawrence

Developer
Staff member
Let me see if the errors go away. I should see errors (or none) in the next hour or two, as they seem to come pretty regularly in the error logs.

If no errors, I'll do as you say above and wait for the update. If I get errors, I'll post them to you.
The error has nothing to do with ElasticSearch Essentials, this one is on me. I just reproduced the error when a deleted member was the post owner, so now that is fixed. Thanks for reporting it as quick as you did!

gerryvz

The issues seem to be resolved and I haven't gotten any further error messages after following the instructions above. I'll report back again in a few hours.

I do want to say that the add-on worked fine and as it was supposed to, even though it provided server errors in the admin control panel.

Lawrence

Developer
Staff member
The issues seem to be resolved and I haven't gotten any further error messages after following the instructions above. I'll report back again in a few hours.

I do want to say that the add-on worked fine and as it was supposed to, even though it provided server errors in the admin control panel.
Thank you for your feedback, it's very helpful.

I just released v1.1.1 on fetchapp, you should receive an email from them soon, :)

Lawrence

Developer
Staff member
I have paid for this but unable to get the update?
Hi, an email from fetchapp with the download link would have been sent to you, as soon as I released the update. Did you check your spam folder? If you did not receive an email, let me know and I'll PC the latest version to you.

Lawrence