History

History [Paid] 1.1.1

No permission to buy (CA$19.95)

vitoreis

Threads
Re: History [Paid]
Thanks for the addon. Very usefull!

I need to translate all dates (january, etc)? Why don´t you use XF phrase dates?

Lawrence

Developer
Staff member
Threads
    • Developer
    • Administrator
Thanks for the addon. Very usefull!

I need to translate all dates (january, etc)? Why don´t you use XF phrase dates?

Good day, and welcome to the site, :)

If you are referring to the short month names (Jan, Feb, etc) I used the php's DateTime->Format('Y M d') to generate the short month name. I just now modified the applicable history templates to use the short month phrases: month_1_short, month_2_short, etc.

I'll release the update tomorrow as I want to be sure I have it all working correctly and that is what you are referring to.

Sperber

Threads
Hey @Lawrence ,
2 short questions:

1. Coming from ubb over vbulletin to XF, the generated milestones start with every product change from zero. That leads to a weird history. Is there anything that you could do on your end, so the addon is taking care of this?

2. What would be use case of a history addon, when not informing users and to engage them: are there user alerts for the new milestones? Else, I´ld have to ask - "Heck, why not?!" ;)

Lawrence

Developer
Staff member
Threads
    • Developer
    • Administrator
Welcome aboard, :)

1. Coming from ubb over vbulletin to XF, the generated milestones start with every product change from zero. That leads to a weird history. Is there anything that you could do on your end, so the addon is taking care of this

Can you clarify what you mean by "product change from zero"?

2. What would be use case of a history addon, when not informing users and to engage them: are there user alerts for the new milestones? Else, I´ld have to ask - "Heck, why not?!" ;)

I wrote the history add-on for the owner/admins can keep a record of how their forum has changed over the years. And for members to see how their contributions have added to thread counts, message counts etc. Later, I felt there was a need for members to visually see how close a milestone was to be achieved, so I added a widget (when hovering over the number, the amount remaining is shown in a tooltip), hoping it will get members to post more, create more threads, and so on.

In a later version I could add alerts if you like, :)

Sperber

Threads
With product change mean changing from ubb to vb, from vb to xf. After every software change your addon doesn´t reflect that, instead it starts to count from zero (posts/messages/users...) again and creates new milestones, for example, for 10.000 members when you already hit that mark 5 years ago in the old forum software used back then at the time the software was switched from ubb to vb or to xf. In the history you than have 2 entries for the 10.000 member mark (or in my case 3): one for the time on ubb (10.000, true), one for the time on vb (real number: 20.000) and one for the time on xf (real number 30.000).

I wrote the history add-on for the owner/admins can keep a record of how their forum has changed over the years. And for members to see how their contributions have added to thread counts, message counts etc. Later, I felt there was a need for members to visually see how close a milestone was to be achieved, so I added a widget (when hovering over the number, the amount remaining is shown in a tooltip), hoping it will get members to post more, create more threads, and so on.

In a later version I could add alerts if you like,
Indeed you have to or I have to spank you ;)

Serious, user alerts for new milestones is a have-to, not a nice-to-have and a widget isn´t a good idea for me. I want to have users attracted directly via their accounts to engage more. And somehow a forum is always a community work and milestones a community achievement. I always lik din another forum I´m in when I received an alert saying "Hey [username], with the help of your participation today we reached [whatever milestone]. Thank you for all your helpful posts!". A widget can´t do this and is just another stat, mainly overlooked. So, the sooner you could implement user alerts, the better - talking about last week ;)

Sperber

Threads
btw:

others have mentioned the time format before. It would be really helpful, you could use the XF standard from the options, as your settings only fit for the english speaking world. All users from mainland europe actually have to alter templates and/or files to show their date/time schema (01. Feb 2021 vs Feb 01, 2021)

Lawrence

Developer
Staff member
Threads
    • Developer
    • Administrator
Good day, :)

When the History add-on is first installed, and you add milestones to track from the AdminCP, it tries to calculate when past milestone markers were met. It does this by looking for an id that is closest to the milestone marker. For example, post_id 1000 to represent milestone marker 1000. It then uses the post date to use for when the milestone marker was met. This works fine unless there are 100's or even 1000's of deleted posts, then some markers may end up with the same date as others. There is no way around this, except to edit or even delete those markers. This only happens when backfilling the markers on install, when it is done, there won't be anymore issues. Also note, this won't happen for newer forums. The older version of History didn't backfill markers, the feature was added by request, and there is no other way to retrieve dates without looking for post_id (as an example).

If your forum is pretty large, you can remove each marker type, and change the size of the milestone markers in the options (maybe add a zero to each marker value), then re-add each marker type back in.

I'll add alerts in for the next update, :)

The last version uses phrases for the date parts, but I can add in an option to switch around the day and month (or actually use the date time format that is selected in the AdminCP, if applicable).

Have a great day, and stay safe :)

PS: snow storm here, so hoping the power doesn't go out.

Lawrence

Developer
Staff member
Threads
    • Developer
    • Administrator
All add-ons under this category are compatible with 2.1 and 2.2+, :)

dogsbody

Threads
@Lawrence great add-on, thank you for publishing it.

I have a support request: I made the mistake of not setting my milestones as I wanted and now the history has been populated with a lot of milestones which I don't want to be displayed. (My forum is 15 years old with close to a million posts). Specifically I changed the "base marker" numbers but the milestones from the old base marker numbers are still there. How can I delete the milestones and re-populate the history with milestones based on the current base marker number settings, please?

Lawrence

Developer
Staff member
Threads
    • Developer
    • Administrator
@Lawrence great add-on, thank you for publishing it.

I have a support request: I made the mistake of not setting my milestones as I wanted and now the history has been populated with a lot of milestones which I don't want to be displayed. (My forum is 15 years old with close to a million posts). Specifically I changed the "base marker" numbers but the milestones from the old base marker numbers are still there. How can I delete the milestones and re-populate the history with milestones based on the current base marker number settings, please?

Thank-you, :)

From the AdminCP ([EAE] History menu), remove each milestone type you want to change, then set the new markers in the options, and then re-add each milestone type. Note that this may just pick up where it left off for each marker (I'd have to verify that), if so, then uninstall the add-on and re-install it (then set your markers to the values you want, and then re-add each marker).

dogsbody

Threads
Thank-you, :)

From the AdminCP ([EAE] History menu), remove each milestone type you want to change, then set the new markers in the options, and then re-add each milestone type. Note that this may just pick up where it left off for each marker (I'd have to verify that), if so, then uninstall the add-on and re-install it (then set your markers to the values you want, and then re-add each marker).
Thank you for the quick reply. I realized I didn't have the permissions to delete entries in-line so once I fixed that I was able to edit the history directly.

arms

Threads
Have you considered a widget for "on this day" so will show events that happened

1628887701252.png

I have a list of when things opened an on the the aniversary i want a widget to show "On this day"

arms

Threads
@Lawrence

I've amended the widget, for now, I can add it to a separate widget if not something you can add:

Code:
else if ($display == 'onthisday')
{
    $title = \XF::phrase('eae_htr_on_this_day');

$limit = $options['limit'];

$repo = $this->repository('EAEAddons\History:History');
    $finder = $repo->findHistoryItemsForList();

$d = new \DateTime('now', \XF::language()->getTimeZone());

list($this->entryYear, $this->entryMonth, $this->entryDay) = explode(' ', $d->format('Y M d'));

$finder->with('User')
        ->where('event_type',  'event')
        ->where('event_state', 'visible')
        ->where('event_month', '=',$this->entryMonth)
        ->where('event_day', '=', $this->entryDay)
        ->limit($limit)
        ->order('event_date', 'DESC');

$data = $finder->fetch();
}